1. What are the fields of study eligible for consideration?
Scholars interested in any field of study are accepted. Early career fellows should have received their terminal degree (PhD, JD, MFA, EdD, DSW, etc.) prior to the start of the fellowship.
2. Given the pandemic, are fellows expected to be on-campus?
Fellows are required to live in the Bay Area for the duration of their appointments.
3. Is a scholar eligible for consideration if they will finish their PhD at some point between November 2020 and September 2021?
Eligibility for the IDEAL Fellowship requires that you have completed your terminal degree at the time that the fellowship begins (which is September 1, 2021) and that you are within 3 years of having received your degree at the start of the fellowship.
4. Is research on the study of race and ethnicity limited to the United States?
We wish to engage a broad range of scholars studying race and ethnicity. This of course means that we are not limiting our interest to work only done in the U.S. We welcome scholars whose work is centered outside of the U.S.
5. During this time, collecting letters of reference may take longer than usual. Is it possible to get an extension?
Letters must be submitted by November 1, 2020.
6. Should applicants apply to departments and/or programs or should applicants apply with broad interests and then, if selected as a Fellow, allow the committee to assign the Fellow to a specific department?
The online application form available on AJO allows applicants to select multiple departments of interest. Applicants may also indicate on their application form whether they have an interest in being appointed in a center or institute.
7. What types of written samples are acceptable?
Please use the following guidelines for the written samples provided:
- Authorship: Second or third co-author of an article, dissertation or book is acceptable for this process. First or sole authored works are preferred.
- Books and/or manuscripts: first and last chapters
- Articles (published/unpublished): entirety
8. Is there a page limit for the statement of teaching and research interests? No, but 3 – 5 pages is ideal.