Tuesday, November 12
Alumni Guests Meet and Greet at Hotel. Informal Dinner at the Palo Alto Westin.
Wednesday, November 13
8:00 – 9:15 AM Breakfast (Red Lounge, Stanford Faculty Club)
- Welcome Remarks by James Jordan, Stanford Alumni Association
- Faculty Diversity Update, Al Camarillo, Leon Sloss Jr. Memorial Professor, History, and by courtesy, of Education
- Day Overview, Rania Sanford, Assistant Vice Provost, Faculty Development and Diversity
9:30 – 11:00 AM Graduate Student Breakfast and Discussion Session (Tresidder Union, Oak Room, Second Floor)
11:00 – 12:00 FREE TIME
12:00 – 1:30 PM Undergraduate and Alumni Lunch (Tresidder Union, Oak Room, Second Floor)
Comments by Jan Barker-Alexander, Director of the Black Community Services Center
1:30 – 2:30 PM BREAK
2:30 – 4:00 PM Closed Door meeting with Patricia Gumport, Vice Provost for Graduate Education (Old Union, Nitery, Room 209)
- Asian American Activities Center (Old Union Clubhouse)
- Black Community Services Center (418 Santa Teresa Street)
- El Centro Chicano (Old Union Clubhouse)
- Native American Cultural Center (Old Union Clubhouse)
5:15 – 6:00 PM Pre-Dinner Reception with Faculty and Staff Guests (Gold Lounge, Faculty Club)
6:30 PM Dinner hosted by Provost John Etchemendy (Main Dining Room, Faculty Club) and Vice Provost Patricia Gumport.
8:00 PM Adjourn (shuttle will be waiting at the entrance of the Faculty Club to take you back to the Sheraton)
For purposes of making your travel arrangements, please note that on Tuesday, November 12, 2013, alumni participants are invited to an informal dinner at the Palo Alto Westin at 7 p.m.
The Distinguished Alumni Day (DAS) program starts at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, November 13, 2013, and ends at 8:00 p.m. with dinner. The agenda includes meetings with undergraduate and graduate students, receptions hosted by the Black Community Services Center, El-Centro Chicano, the Native American Cultural Center, and the Asian American Activities Center, and concluding with a reception and dinner hosted by Provost John Etchemendy and Vice Provost for Graduate Education Patricia Gumport.
Please make all your travel reservations and note the below guidelines for reimbursements.
Arrival and Departure Logistics
If you will be traveling by plane, please arrange to arrive at the airport by 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 12 in order to allow sufficient travel time to join us for the evening reception (6 p.m.) and dinner (7 p.m.).
If you plan to fly back after dinner the Wednesday, November 13, we recommend a departure flight time from SFO or SJC no earlier than 11:00 p.m. (add additional 20 minutes if you will be flying out of Oakland). You may want to arrange for airport shuttle pick-up from the Stanford Faculty Club at 439 Lagunita Drive, Stanford, CA 94305, or the Palo Alto Sheraton at 625 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301.Shuttle Services:
- Super Shuttle: http://www.supershuttle.com/; (800) 258-3826
- Bay Porters: http://www.bayporter.com/; (415) 467-1800 (outside Bay Area); (877) 467-1800 (Bay Area Toll Free)
- South & East Bay Airport Shuttle: http://www.southandeastbayairportshuttle.com/; (800) 548-4664
Stanford hopes to reduce the number of car trips to/from campus. And, due to the limited space and cost of campus parking, we discourage you from renting a car. However, if you wish to rent a car from SFO/SJC/OAK instead of taking an airport shuttle to the hotel, you may do so. But please note that there will be reimbursement will not exceed $80 in total and there will be no reimburement of gas, mileage or parking fees associated with your rental on campus or at the hotel. For dirving directions to campus and map of parking lots, please check here.
Stanford will pay the hotel directly for up to 2 nights at the Sheraton Palo Alto (arriving on November 12 and departing on November 14). A group rate has been arranged and please make your reservation directly no later than October 25, 2013 online here (follow the Book a Room link on top of the page) or by calling the hotel at (650) 328-2800.
When checking in, you will be asked for a credit card in case you incur any incidental expenses that are not included in this package (e.g., room service, car parking fees, entertainment).
Note: if you plan to stay additional nights, the event rate may not apply. Please be sure to clarify your reservation with the hotel.
Sheraton Palo Alto address: 625 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301. Phone: (650) 328-2800. Fax: (650) 327-7362
An informal DAS Participant Welcome Reception and Dinner will be held on Tuesday, November 12 at the Westin Palo Alto. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are arranged as part of the DAS events on Wednesday, November 13. Vegetarian options will be available for all meals. Please advise us of any other meal requirements or restrictions.
Receiving Your Reimbursement After the Event
Stanford will reimburse you for the following only (please keep and mail all your original receipts including your signed Declaration of Tax Status Form LA-6 form to process):
- Economy class roundtrip airfare, OR your personal car mileage expense at 56.5 cents per mile up to a total amount that does not exceed the cost of airfare (you must provide your odometer readings).
- Shuttle transportation expenses to and from San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland airports (see above information for suggested services) OR a car rental expense (excluding gas, mileage and any parking expenses), up to $80 in total.
- Your personal car parking for up to three days at your home (departure) airport, and
- Meals during your travel day(s).
- The reimbursement amount for your personal car mileage may not exceed the cost that you would be reimbursed if you traveled by air.
- Only if you drive your car, an “A” permit for parking on the Stanford Campus will be included in the packet you receive when you check-in at the hotel on Tuesday, November 12. You may request the permit in advance by writing to email@example.com. This option is not available if you rent a car.
Reimbursements must follow Stanford's guidelines for allowable expenses and required documentation (original receipts and a signed Declaration of Tax Status Form LA-6 form). Upon receiving all your original receipts of the eligible expenses (above), the request will be processed and may take up to 4 weeks to complete the transaction. Please use the return-address envelope that will be provided to you in the DAS folders to mail back all your original receipts and signed LA-6 form. We must receive your complete receipts and LA-6 by November 30, 3013.
All receipts must be original, but a copy of the original airline ticket(s) or printout of the e-ticket is acceptable as long as it shows your name, the ticket number and airline, the amount paid, and that the ticket has been paid for in full.
Feel free to call one of the VPFDD staff if you have questions about any of the above:
- Charisse Juson, Administrative Associate. Phone: (650) 725-3937
- Pamm Moore, Department Manager. Phone: (650) 736-0384
Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.